Thursday, August 25, 2011

Tomorrow...

It's been a crazy week!  I've decided I'm past the point in my life where these glitches are a challenge...they've become exhausting.  It's just been one thing after another.  But I did get good news yesterday.  My orthodontist said my teeth look so good, he's taking the braces off early!  Hopefully by the end of October.  That's not only early, it's half of the predicted time!  My mood picked right up with that good news!  (Didn't need sky hooks to walk on air!)  I'll be able to eat again!

Back to the project...

Looks like the first lift get's poured tomorrow, Friday...if everything goes as planned today.  We have some county requirement special inspection details to iron out before it can be poured.  We were having such a terrible time finding special inspection services that Gene finally asked the engineers he works with if they knew of anyone.  The one we had contacted couldn't get to it for three weeks.  ARGH!  But, they gave us a couple names and we're good to go!  YAY!

We ordered foundation bolts that were too long.  When they're put in wall, they'd hit the insulation.  So, we had to find 104 of the right length in town.  Didn't happen.  Luckily Gene was overcome with a stroke of genius and he punted.  These are used on the rim joists and lay horizontally into 1.75" diameter holes in the wall.  They will then be encased in concrete.  I had a nifty picture of it, but somehow it didn't get recorded on the camera.  Whatever.  Here's a pic of the rim joist in place....





Once we got the rim joists on, it was on to setting up scaffolding for the pour....


Just have to get some hand rail on and it's set.
This evening Gene will make the bucks (forms to go on the inside of the doors to keep the block from shifting under the weight of the concrete) and we're ready.

We really aren't looking forward to the next 9 rows, though.  It'll happen, though.  It'll just be slower.

And...I'm afraid I've become quite the spectacle at Jerry's.  Don't know if it's the old beat up, torn, paint spattered shirt, the wild hair, the crazed look on my face or the stench (if they don't like it, walk in front of me!) but, quite a few heads turned the other day when I was in picking up a new drill.  (Gene's other one wasn't heavy duty enough).  All I can say is, now when I go for my daily trip for whatever we're short of, the greeter gives me a wide berth.  I'll shower when the projects done.  Don't have time right now.  Besides it's a great passive/aggressive anti-social technique.

More tomorrow, after concrete...as long as there's not hitch somewhere.

Party on!

No comments:

Post a Comment